Texans draft history highlighted by 2011 pick of J.J. Watt

BEST FIRST-ROUND DRAFT PICK: DE J.J. Watt. He was booed by Texans fans when he was selected with the 11th overall pick in the 2011 draft. But it didn’t take Watt long to win over the fan base and become the most beloved Texan of all time. The fearsome pass rusher was the Defensive Player of the Year in 2012, 2014 and 2015. He led the NFL in sacks and tackles for losses in 2012 (20½ and 39) and 2015 (17½ and 29). Watt was selected as the Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2017 after raising more than $41 million for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. He rebounded from two seasons where injuries limited him to just eight games combined to finish with 16 sacks in 2018 and earn All-Pro honors for the fifth time. Read the full story at themonitor.com

Regardless of what the Cowboys say, addressing the defense early in the NFL draft...

Jerry Jones will tell you the Cowboys have taken great pains to position themselves where they don’t have to draft for need in the first round. The owner and Stephen Jones, the club’s executive vice president, strive to sign players in free agency that allow the club to conduct a pure draft, one dictated by talent over desperation when the team is on the clock Thursday night to open the NFL draft. “I think we did specifically address some areas that give us some slack, if you will, as far as need in several positions,” Jerry Jones said earlier this week. Read the full story at themonitor.com

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to intensive care

LONDON — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to the intensive care unit of a London hospital after his coronavirus symptoms worsened. Johnson’s...

Faint glimmers of hope as virus deaths slow in places

NEW YORK — The steep rise in coronavirus deaths in New York appears to be leveling off in a possible sign that social distancing...

CBP: Brownsville ports of entry to reduce hours, Anzalduas traffic to be adjusted

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will reduce hours of operation on Monday along the Laredo Field Office's eight ports of entry, which includes Brownsville and two bridges under the McAllen Bridge System, according to the city of McAllen. Starting Monday, the Anzalduas Port of Entry will operate from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. for northbound traffic only while southbound traffic will remain unchanged, from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., according to a city of McAllen news release. "These new hours do not affect our southbound traffic. These are challenging times, but together, we will get through this," Mission Mayor Armando O'Caña said. "We must do our part to protect ourselves, practice social distancing and follow strict hygiene protocols to safeguard our communities while the bridge remains open for essential business." Read the full story at themonitor.com

Economic fallout mounts, along with competition for masks

NEW YORK — The economic damage from the coronavirus crisis piled up as an unprecedented 6.6 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits, and the...

3.3 million seek US jobless aid, nearly 5 times earlier high

WASHINGTON — Nearly 3.3 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week — nearly five times the previous record set in 1982 — amid...

LA County reports first possible death of a coronavirus patient under 18 as COVID-19...

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles County confirmed four more deaths linked to the novel coronavirus Tuesday, including what appears to be the first fatality...

Hunt for medical gear to fight virus becomes all-consuming

PARIS — The hunt for masks, ventilators and other medical supplies consumed the U.S. and Europe on Monday, as new coronavirus infections soared and...

Texas governor orders schools closed and bans dine-in eating

AUSTIN — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott ordered schools closed statewide Thursday until at least until April 3 and a ban on dine-in eating and...