Mission man accused of stabbing wife 12 times

A Mission man was arraigned Tuesday morning after allegedly stabbing his wife multiple times.

According to a police report, Mission police officers responded to the 500 block of Doherty Avenue at 2:22 a.m. after a woman called to report that she had been stabbed by her husband.

Upon arrival, the police officers noticed that the front door to the home was open and observed a pool of blood in the living room and bedroom.

Dispatch then notified the officers that a woman had arrived at the South Texas Health System emergency room with multiple stab wounds.

Police officers arrived at the hospital and made contact with the victim. They also made contact with a receptionist who advised police that the victim had arrived at the hospital with her husband, identified as Pablo Alberto Flores-Rodriguez.

According to the report, the receptionist informed police that Flores-Rodriguez arrived shirtless and covered in blood. He told the receptionist that he had stabbed his wife because he mistook her for a burglar. He left his wife unattended at the hospital, and left with his four children in a silver Mazda, according to allegations in the report.

Due to the severity of her injuries, the victim was transported to McAllen Medical Center for emergency surgery. There, a detective was able to get a statement from the victim before she went into surgery, and she claimed that her husband stabbed her with a kitchen knife for unknown reasons.

The victim was stabbed 12 times, with nine stab wounds on her left arm going up to her neck, and three on the right side of her upper back.

Police were able to locate Flores-Rodriguez walking, covered in blood, with his four children northbound near Conway Avenue and Leal Street. Officers also located his silver Mazda on railroad tracks near South Conway Avenue, and noticed that there was blood in the front passenger side of the vehicle.

Flores-Rodriguez was arraigned Tuesday morning by Municipal Court Judge Jonathan Wehrmeister, and charged with aggravated assault, a first-degree felony, and issued a $500,000 bond.