Ex-firefighter charged with assault after slapping ex-wife’s cop boyfriend

Man broke into ex-wife’s residence; slapped boyfriend

A former firefighter from La Casita faces a second-degree felony charge after he reportedly broke into his ex-wife’s apartment and slapped her new boyfriend — who happens to be a police officer.

Jose Morales faces the charge after police said he went into the apartment of his ex-wife without her consent, who lives in the 300 block of West Fairview Avenue in Rio Grande City, the affidavit states.

According to Morales’ former wife, Morales went into the residence Sept. 14 at about 4:30 p.m. without her permission and assaulted her current boyfriend — slapping the 31-year-old man across the right side of his face, the report states.

Morales, also 31, during an interview with police admitted to entering his ex-wife’s apartment because he said he needed to recover a shotgun for a hunting trip he planned.

While inside the apartment, Morales told the officer he encountered his ex-wife’s boyfriend, who he claims has been telling people that he sells drugs. He said he was tired of the man “always talking about him and his family,” the complaint states.

Morales told the officer that the man “came towards him in a threatening manner,” so he pushed him away and then slapped him, the complaint states.

In a phone call interview with The Monitor, Rio Grande City Police Chief Noe Castillo confirmed his officer had been assaulted by a fire department employee, but said he did not know for which fire department the man worked, nor whether or not he was full time or a volunteer.

According to Morales’ social media page, Morales worked at the La Casita fire department.

A man who answered the phone listed to the La Casita fire department Tuesday afternoon said Morales was no longer employed there. When asked when he stopped being employed, the man referred The Monitor to the Starr County annex office.

According to a woman at the Starr County annex, Morales, who worked for Starr County Precinct 3, was terminated in May of this year.

Morales was booked, then released on a $15,000 cash surety bond Sept. 14, documents show.

If convicted of the burglary of habitation charge, a second-degree felony, Morales faces between two and 20 years in prison, and a maximum fine of $10,000.