McAllen oncologist faces three sexual assault charges

EDINBURG — A local oncologist pleaded not guilty to three sexual assault charges Monday during his arraignment in district court.

Dr. Eugenio Galindo, 60, was arraigned on two counts of sexual assault, a second-degree felony, and one count of attempted sexual assault, a third-degree felony.

The oncologist, who owns McAllen Oncology, was arrested in December 2018 following a nearly three-year investigation by Edinburg police after a now-former staff member reported in 2015 that he allegedly sexual assaulted her in 2011, according to a probable cause affidavit. Through the investigation, police learned of another alleged sexual assault that occurred that same year against another employee and an attempted sexual assault of a third employee in 2012.

Ricardo “Rick” Salinas, Galindo’s attorney, called the allegations against his client a baseline attempt to recover money from the doctor.

“I’ve looked at the file and I’ve looked at some of their statements and the information and evidence … and I can tell you for sure, at least two of the three that are in there, I don’t know what the (expletive) they’re doing here.”

Salinas said he wants to take the case to trial as quickly as possible. Judge J.R. “Bobby” Flores set a  pretrial hearing for next month.

“Once he gets acquitted, we need to contemplate what we’re going to do against these ladies,” Salinas said.

Three other women are also suing Galindo, according to civil court records. One is a former patient, another was a marketer for a Pharr-based home health company and the third was a clinical research coordinator. All allege Galindo forcibly kissed them in incidents dating from 2016 through May 2018, according to court filings.

The Texas Medical Board voted to temporarily restrict Galindo’s license in March, prohibiting him from consulting, diagnosing, examining or treating female patients, according to TMB’s order.

Galindo sued TMB seeking to have the restriction lifted, arguing that he is one of only five board-certified oncologists in the McAllen area and treats approximately 3,000 cancer patients, according to his lawsuit.

That suit, however, was dismissed in federal court last week and TMB’s restriction against Galindo remains in effect until the board issues an order lifting it.

Previous coverage:

Affidavits: Local oncologist sexually assaulted staff members