Busy McAllen intersection stoplight out for 6 weeks

McALLEN — A car crash that did not result in any serious injuries early Sunday morning took out a stoplight at the busy McAllen intersection of Dove Avenue and Second Street, leaving the intersection to become a four way stop until June 5, when a new signal will be installed.

“Temporary stop signs have been installed and dynamic message boards will be placed in the area to remind motorists about the four way stop,” city officials said in a statement. “Motorists should exercise caution and patience when traveling in the area and expect delays at this intersection until the light is replaced.”

McAllen Police Chief Victor Rodriguez said an investigation is ongoing, but he suspects a driving under the influence charge could possibly follow.

Second Street is one of the most frequently used north-south corridors in McAllen, and Monday’s late afternoon rush-hour traffic backed up in all four directions.

Traffic signals have been a conversation throughout the city over the last year, from the $3 million McAllen voters approved in a May 2018 bond election toward traffic signal synchronization to the removal of more than 10 traffic signals downtown that city officials determined were no longer necessary.

If the crash on Sunday ends up resulting in a charge of driving under the influence, it would be the second incident related to impaired-driving in recent weeks. Earlier in April, a 19-year-old Mission man acknowledged consuming alcohol prior to allegedly killing a pedestrian when driving in downtown McAllen on Bicentennial Boulevard.