Appeals court denies Bill Cosby’s latest bid for bail

In this Sept. 25, 2018, file photo, Bill Cosby arrives for his sentencing hearing at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown Pa. A fee dispute between Cosby and a Los Angeles law firm shows the firm billed him about $1 million a month in the run-up to his first sex assault trial. The 81-year-old Cosby is challenging a California arbitration award that trims the $9 million bill from Quinn Emanuel Urquhart and Sullivan to below $7 million. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

HARRISBURG, Pa. — An appeals court has denied Bill Cosby’s latest effort to be released from prison on bail while he fights his sex-assault conviction.

Lawyers for the 81-year-old comedian had renewed their bail motion in a filing last week with Pennsylvania Superior Court. They say Cosby is likely to have his conviction overturned because of trial errors.

Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt says the defense isn’t surprised by the order Monday denying the bail motion.

He says the filing was largely intended to point out that Montgomery County Judge Steven O’Neill hasn’t yet issued a post-trial opinion explaining key trial decisions. He says that includes the decision to let five other accusers testify at last year’s trial. Cosby needs the opinion to pursue his appeal.

Cosby is serving a three- to 10-year prison term for drugging and molesting a woman in 2004.

The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.