McALLEN — Two more defendants were sentenced this week in connection with a cocaine conspiracy ring that was also involved in home invasions and carjackings in the county.
Danny Cano, 31, and Marlyn Gonzalez Garcia, 39, both of Mission, stood before U.S. District Judge Micaela Alvarez on Thursday for their respective sentencing hearings in connection with cocaine conspiracy charges.
Cano, who government prosecutors say admitted to brokering a deal involving 20 kilos of cocaine, was sentenced to 108 months in prison, while Gonzalez, who admitted to scouting houses in the Rio Grande Valley, specifically in Hidalgo County, that were later ransacked by members of a rip crew that she was a part of, received a 50-month sentence.
The duo joins Jorge Antonio Calvo-Ayala, 25, of Pharr, who pleaded guilty last year to conspiring to possess with the intent to distribute more than 5 kilograms of cocaine. In May, Alvarez sentenced that man to 95 months in prison, court records show.
Others who have also pleaded guilty in the conspiracy and are pending sentencing are: Antonio Javier Gomez, or “Little T,” 28; Arturo Vargas,or “Petu” or Cholo,” 35; Francisco Javier Montemayor, or “Fat Boy” or “el Fat” or “Rambo,” 31; and Roberto Lee Rodriguez, or “el Tio” or “Pica,” 39 — all of Mission.
Mexican nationals pleading guilty in the conspiracy are: Miguel Marin Cerda, or “Tigre,” 30; Jose Garcia-De La Torre, or “Coco,” 22; Carlos Guadalupe Aquino-Pacheco, or “Tomy,” 20; Alfredo Avalos-Sanchez, “Chore,” 26; Gustavo Angel DeLeon-Covarrubias, or “Tripa,” 19; Jose Arturo Reyes-Sanchez, or “Gordo,” 19; Cesar Alejandro Tovar-Guillen, or “Nucho” or “el Sobrino,” 31; and Juan Antonio Flores, 27, of Weslaco, according to court records.
Montemayor, of Mission, and Macrin Cerda, a Mexican national, were also part of a group called “Los Mikis,” who were arrested in October 2017 in connection with a series of burglaries of a habitation, intent to commit other felonies, and engaging in organized criminal activity, San Juan Police Chief Juan Gonzalez said last October.
“The court considered the offense and stated that the serious conduct was attributable to greed and a lot of people willing to do anything for money,” according to a release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. “Judge Alvarez also stated that people in a home and residents in a neighborhood, even those involved in criminal activity themselves, should not be the target of home invasions but rather face justice through the judicial system in place.”
Gonzalez, who in addition to acting as a lookout for the rip crews, let the crew use her vehicle during some of the home invasions, apologized to the court for her actions, and said she acted “impulsively,” and used “poor judgement,” during her time with the crew.
Cano, for his part, apologized as well, saying he saw his role in the conspiracy as a chance to make “easy money.”
Alvarez further imposed on the duo supervised release conditions — four years for Cano and three years for Gonzalez, which will be served upon completion of their respective prison terms.