3 children die in Hargill home fire - The Monitor: News

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

3 children die in Hargill home fire

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:53 pm

HARGILL — Residents of a Hargill mobile home awoke early Sunday morning to find the structure and an attached trailer enveloped in flames.

When the fire was extinguished, three children ranging in age from three years to two weeks old had lost their lives. Four others present, including the parents of the three children, survived.

Edinburg fire Chief Shawn Snider said the children’s father, identified by family members as Salvador Robledo, was transported by medical responders to McAllen Medical Center.

The three children — 2-week-old Victorino Robledo, 1-year-old Angelica Robledo and 3-year-old Salvador Robledo Jr. — could not be pulled to safety before the fire engulfed the structures.

Salvador Robledo and his wife, Angelica, are students at Economedes High School in the Edinburg school district. The property at the northwest corner of Farm-to-Market Road 490 and Gill Road is owned by Robledo’s parents, Santiago and Evangelina.

Only charred frameworks of the mobile home and trailer remained Sunday.

Snider said by the time firefighters arrived at the location at 5:14 a.m., both structures had burned nearly to the ground.

The Hidalgo County fire marshal and Sheriff’s Office are investigating the cause of the fire. Snider said neither structure was equipped with a working smoke detector.

“A really important fact is the need for working smoke detectors in every place considered a residence,” he said.

Guadalupe Davila’s said his family knew the Robledos from attending the same church, St. Francis Xavier Cabrini, as the Robledos. The couple named Davila and his wife godparents of one of their children.

“It’s a sad situation right now,” he said, sitting outside with family members

Griselda Olmeda said Salvador Robledo Jr. sometimes played with her son at the house owned by her father-in-law across the street from the mobile home.

“He would call my father-in-law’s name. He was back and forth, back and forth,” she said. “I thought ‘Oh my God.’ I couldn’t believe it.”

Members of the town of 650 gathered at the house of Evangelina Robledo’s brother throughout the afternoon Sunday to express their condolences.

Robledo said her family had lived at the property for 13 years. Through an interpreter, she said the family would stay with relatives in town after the fire.

“Everything was burnt,” she said. “Nothing was left.”


Andrew Kreighbaum covers education and general assignments for The Monitor. He can be reached at andrew@themonitor.com and (956) 683-4472.



Follow Andrew Kreighbaum on Twitter: @akreighbaum

More Events