BROWNSVILLE — Chilly temperatures are expected to hit the Rio Grande Valley early Friday as a cold front passes through.
The mercury will drop throughout the day, bringing a 20- to 25-degree decrease in temperatures from Thursday, weather forecasters predicted.
“It will feel quite a bit like February weather instead of March weather,” said Tim Speece, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Brownsville. “It is going to be a pretty dramatic drop in temperatures.”
The colder temperatures won’t be welcome news to spring-breakers visiting South Padre Island. Many colleges let out Friday for spring break, and thousands of students are expected to head to the Island for their weeklong holiday.
Temperatures at sunrise Friday were expected to be in the upper 60s. By about 8 a.m., the cold front will push through, bringing north winds, rain and falling temperatures.
“By late afternoon hours, we will be looking at temperatures in the 50s,” Speece said.
As the late evening rolls in, the wind chills will be in the 40s and will continue overnight, Speece said. Temperatures on Saturday are expected to hold steady in the upper 50s to low 60s, with northerly winds.
“Late Friday night through Saturday morning is going to be the coldest temperatures,” Speece said.
The cold weather is not expected to last long. Sunday’s highs will in the lower 70s and Monday’s highs will be in the 80s once again.
There also is a chance of showers with the cold front. Friday’s forecast lists a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms, with a 40 percent chance Friday night.
On Saturday, there is a 50 percent chance of daytime and evening showers. After that, chances for rain will decrease.
“Next week, conditions will be back up to the spring-like weather for us,” Speece said.
Laura B. Martinez writes for The Brownsville Herald.